Question:
I am desperately in need of solid advice, CAN YOU HELP?
MaHaa
2006-05-24 08:30:40 UTC
17 yo son was arrested AT SCHOOL for posession of marijuanna. There were NO consequences from the school nor the court! We punished him as parents but he ignored the punishment stating "the school and cops don't care, why do you?" He now absolutely beleives he can do anything and his behavior is very destructive. We have 3 other children and it is impacting their lives now. He steals, curses, is failing at school, gets into fights...even went after his father with a bat! When I called the cops they said we needed therapy and did nothing, despite the fact my 6 yo son BEGGED them to "keep us safe". We have gotten therapy for us as parents and for the other children in the family. I have begged everybody and anybody who would listen for help, but there is nothing anybody can do (at least that is what I'm being told). I am DESPERATE...what should I do? Who do I talk to? Where can I turn? PLEASE, I have a wonderful family and it is falling apart right in front of me.
Nine answers:
Retired
2006-05-24 09:56:16 UTC
You seem to be in a tough spot - not only do you have to worry about your son, but about your other children as well, because they are certainly watching how you respond to this problem. Try taking a look at this website - http://www.4troubledteens.com/toughlove.html as this organization has helped many, many parents deal with issues such as yours. Please make sure that your first priority is the safety of the rest of your family - and good luck to you all.
?
2006-05-24 21:12:36 UTC
You need to call the Sheriffs department, but not to arrest him, but to file a Juvenile Complaint against him, once you do that if the Juvenile Court verifys that they will take him from the home and send him either to a Foster Home, or send him to a Juvenile Detention Center. After that you no longer have to deal with him. You shouldnt have to put up with that, and especially with other children around the house who might decide is cool to act like he acts. Thats how I think you should get him out the easy and legal way, one more thing dont hit him beacuse then you'll be in a lot of trouble. You should stop this before he begins doing bigger and badder things. You dont have to try and help him beacuse he is way out of control. You dont pay any kind of fee. But you have to really want him out to do that, you cant just keep saying he'll get better.

Hope this Helps
notyou311
2006-05-24 15:37:49 UTC
Call your local police precinct and ask if there is a Scared Straight program in your area. They take teens into prisons so they can see what awaits them if they don't change their lives. The inmates will talk to them also. I would also look into a tough wilderness self reliance camp for the summer.

If none of that works, you can turn him over to the foster care system and say that he can no longer live at home because he is a danger to the family. He may have a mental disorder and that is very sad. Has he been seen by a psychiatrist for an evaluation? At the very least, he needs anger management sessions. It wouldn't hurt to go to www.drphil.com for some info also. Good luck. I'm so sorry.
2006-05-24 15:34:53 UTC
I find it hard to believe the school and police did nothing. I am having problems similar to this Whit my step daughter.

She is so out of control we are looking to send her to some type of boot camp program or possibly to Job Corps. There are programs for troubled teens, but many of them are expensive. One cost $50K, we can't afford that.

As crazy as it sounds you could maybe contact someone like Dr. Phil or Montel. They run programs at times for kids that are really out of control and try to help them.

I wish you luck in your efforts, it is tough dealing with today's teenagers.
working mom of 3
2006-05-24 15:52:15 UTC
Call child services as his behavior is threating to both himself and the rest of the family. Or emancipate him and let him be a hood elsewhere.
2006-05-24 15:33:13 UTC
nonsense ... you can emancipate him legally ... get a lawyer and kick his a.. out of the house ... personally, I would change the locks on your home and lock him out tonight! Best of Luck
good guy
2006-05-24 15:57:55 UTC
kis\ck him out of house
sprdad13
2006-05-24 15:32:34 UTC
SEND HIM TO BOOT CAMP! OR LOCK HIM UP, EVER SEE THE DOCUMENTARY "SCARED STRAIGHT"
evillyn
2006-05-24 15:42:43 UTC
Put him out.