Question:
Do police keep track of warnings?
2007-11-30 22:28:48 UTC
Say you get pulled over for something, and you immediately admit to it and apologize, and the officer lets you go with a warning. Does he note that warning anywhere? If you get pulled over again, will the next officer have any way of knowing that you were warned for the same thing already?

The reason I am asking is because I think that sometimes police write tickets that aren't necessary, when a warning would be sufficient. But then there would be no way to stop repeat offenders since every time could be the "first warning".
Eighteen answers:
Truth Hurts
2007-11-30 23:22:51 UTC
Yes. We are supposed to fill out cards that get entered into the system. It goes to DOT (department of transportation) and goes on your driving record as a warning...Sometimes we fill them out and sometimes we don't.

And if you think that some tickets are necessary when you should have been granted a warning, quit whining about it and go to court and fight it.
Gustav
2016-06-03 19:18:05 UTC
Do Police Keep Track Of Warnings?
Sharon
2016-05-10 05:45:00 UTC
1
blueshark68
2007-11-30 23:49:04 UTC
The warning is entered into a narrative in the local computer and goes no further unless other suspicious circumstances are involved. Of course if you are issued a ticket your name is attached to that offense forever. Some departments issue written verbal warnings which usually just end up in a box somewhere. If another officer stops you soon after or the same officer stops you within a few days or weeks later it is likely your first violation will be remembered. If you don't get a ticket the second time consider yourself very lucky! Of course the thousands of departments across the good ole USA may handle this differently, it just depends on where you are.
smokeyjoe
2007-12-07 00:44:36 UTC
The short answer to this question is yes and no.

As a general rule if you get pulled over by police department A and are issued a written warning, then later you are pulled over by police department B, police department B will have no way of knowing you were issued a warning by police department A. The same goes if you are issued a warning ticket by Police in Illinois. Then you get pulled over in Iowa. Iowa will not know about the written warning issued in Illinois.

However...here are some exceptions

Again this will vary from agency to agency..

When I worked as a dispatcher for the Illinois State Police, they did not issue verbal warnings. If you received a written warning it would be entered into the computer system and would be automatically deleted after 2 years IF you received no other written warnings or citations by the State Police for 2 years. If you did receive another written warning or citation by the ISP the 2 year period would start all over again.

The above warning information was kept in a data base called TIPS (which stood for Traffic Information and Planning System) This data base is only accessible by the ISP or an ISP agency, IE conservation, Secretary of State Police.

Local police departments had no access to this information and we were not allowed to give it to them.

I now work for a local police department as a dispatcher and we have no State wide data base to enter warning tickets into. If you are pulled over by another officer from the agency I work for I would have to tell the officer that you were issued a warning on such and such date for such and such.

Some area's are serviced by a regional dispatch center (which could dispatcher for several cities or an entire county) which could log warning tickets into a shared computer system for all of the agencies that they dispatch for. This warning information would not be shared with agencies not serviced by this dispatch center.

The dmv in your state will track citations issued to you for at least the last year and this information can be viewed by any officer that runs your drivers license.

So as a general rule if you are issued a warning by agency A then later get pulled over by agency B, agency B will have no way of knowing about the warning you received from agency A.

Good luck.
2016-05-25 13:10:49 UTC
Get a No Cost Background Check Scan at https://bitly.im/aOmIC

Its a sensible way to start. The site allows you to do a no cost scan simply to find out if any sort of data is in existence. A smaller analysis is done without cost. To get a detailed report its a modest payment.

You may not realize how many good reasons there are to try and find out more about the people around you. After all, whether you're talking about new friends, employees, doctors, caretakers for elderly family members, or even significant others, you, as a citizen, have a right to know whether the people you surround yourself with are who they say they are. This goes double in any situation that involves your children, which not only includes teachers and babysitters, but also scout masters, little league coaches and others. Bottom line, if you want to find out more about someone, you should perform a background check.
Malvina
2016-02-03 11:12:27 UTC
police track warnings
2007-12-01 04:26:53 UTC
With technolgoy inmproving these days anything is possible

Some states,counties,and cities yes. the reason i say this is

say you driving from you house to a friends who is in other city and you got pulled over in Lago and got a warring only the largo police would have record of that no other city would
GARY H
2007-12-01 04:09:07 UTC
Here in the state of Kentucky we have a statewide citation/report/warning system. Everytime you are issued a warning a record is created and stored in the statewide system. Additionally at my department we keep a record of the license plate, location, occupants of the vehicle, offense, and disposition. Anytime a vehicle is encountered, be it a wreck, traffic stop, parking complaint, it is entered into our system. Everytime a officer encounters that vehicle its history is brought up.
brutalhonesty
2007-11-30 23:30:49 UTC
there are two different type of warning a verbal and a written warning if it's just a verbal then it's just a matter if him remembering if it's a written then yes it will be put in the system
knoodelhed
2007-11-30 23:04:25 UTC
They do, at least in a pro forma fashion. That's why warning notices are produced with three-part NCR paper: one for you, one for the department, and one for the officer's notes.
2016-08-26 13:05:31 UTC
I frequently spend my half an hour to read this blog's posts daily along with a mug of coffee.
sugar
2007-11-30 22:34:28 UTC
hah no it goes into that departments file..but no other police departments will know about those warnings.
Not To Serious
2007-11-30 22:36:33 UTC
Only if the same cop that gave you the warning in the first place
2007-12-01 05:30:55 UTC
Yes, the smart ones do keep the records.
thescience@sbcglobal.net
2007-11-30 22:48:01 UTC
Yes. Mentally...if you are memorable. If you are memorable enough he or she may share with his or her comrades.
LckyNmbr9
2007-11-30 22:31:26 UTC
nope
kitkatish1962
2007-11-30 22:32:10 UTC
Yup,,,,,,,,,, its the age of computers now!!