Question:
Counterfeit Money?
jabbott2791
2006-05-18 12:45:11 UTC
I was passed a counterfeit $20 bill from a general store. I saw it as she gave me back my change but thought it was just run thru a washing machine. Not till the following day when I tried to use it did I find out it was counterfeit. How or can I get reimbursed? What steps do I take? Who do I contact? It is not the end of the world but I don't feel I should be victimized for a someone else's criminal activity.
Twelve answers:
Bostonian In MO
2006-05-18 13:04:11 UTC
If anyone ever hands you a dodgy note, REFUSE it! Never accept something that looks like it's been washed. If you do, you now own the problem. Any bank or cashier can confiscate it as counterfeit and you are not entitled to compensation.

If you still have it, you should hand it in at a bank as a suspect counterfeit. They will check it and if it appears to be counterfeit they may take some information from you and will issue you a receipt for it. If it turns out to be genuine, they'll send you the money. If it's proven counterfeit, you may get a visit from the Secret Service though that's not likely.

You won't be prosecuted for handing in a suspect counterfeit note. You could be prosecuted for trying to pass one if you know it to be counterfeit.

Your only claim is with the store that gave it to you. Unless they are willing to accept your claim that it came from them (very unlikely!) then you're out $20.00. Just be happy it was only 1 and not a C-note!
2006-05-18 15:01:20 UTC
You should retain the counterfeit for law enforcement personnel. The Secret Service is the agency that specializes in counterfeit bills. You can either contact your local police dept./sheriff's office or contact your local Secret Service field office. It's unlikely that you'll be reimbursed for the counterfeit, but you may get some valuable information to prevent future occurrences.

The counterfeit detection pens previously mentioned are not recommended for use by the Secret Service because they simply detect the quality of the paper used. The best way to protect yourself from counterfeit bills is to know them and their counterfeit deterrent features! Visit the Secret Service website for more details. www.secretservice.gov
Laurie M
2006-05-21 04:44:21 UTC
Even though I think you kind of SOL, the store IMO should be held responsible since they should be checking their money in the first place, it's not difficult to purchase a 3 dollar counterfeit pen and simply mark the corner of any bill larger than a 10
PoisonIvy
2006-05-18 12:48:40 UTC
I think you might just be out of luck. You can't take it to a bank, b/c how do they know that you aren't the counterfieter. I would call the police to see if they could do anything, but doubtful. You could buy one of those counterfeit pens and check all bills given back to you from now on. They sell them at most stores, ( Target, Wal-Mart ETC)
Slipknot
2006-05-18 12:49:23 UTC
You can sue the store that gave you the fake bill if you want to go through the hassle. Passing on counterfeit money is a crime as well.
ride2cowboy
2006-05-24 07:03:34 UTC
Go to your local Police Station. Place the the bill in a zip lock bag.( This is done to help prevent any more finger prints from getting on to the bill.) You may not be able to be reimbursed though. Good Luck.
numbr1TXfan
2006-05-25 12:48:34 UTC
there is nothing that you can do. you cannot "sue the store that gave it to you" because there is no proof that they gave it to you and someone else probably gave it to them, get yourself one of those pens that shows if a bill is counterfit, they work great, but beware do NOT write on anything other than money because it will ruin the tip
supremelorderik
2006-05-18 12:46:29 UTC
while you should probably report it to the police, there really isnt anything you can do in order to get refunded. unless the police give you money. since you accepted the bill, you are kind out of luck.
LEO H
2006-05-21 19:34:21 UTC
Go back to the store where you inherited it, tell the guy you got it in change, if he refuses to give you back an original 20... go back later that night and throw a brick through his window.
freeyrmind
2006-05-18 20:49:25 UTC
You can try talking to the manager of the general store. He may reimburse you to avoid any bad publicity.
Kid Quick
2006-05-18 15:28:07 UTC
You probably did it.
old man