Question:
Legal Question- I fired an employee who....?
djatesu
2006-05-23 10:16:45 UTC
started causing problems after I fired him. As he was leaving the parking lot, he punched my car door, leaving a dent in it. All in plain view of a police officer. Does he have any chance of winning in court?
Eighteen answers:
TiffanyKaye
2006-05-23 10:21:19 UTC
I just took an employment law class so I have a pretty good idea that he would not win in the court of law. As long as he was not fired unjustly, he has no basis to retaliate. however, you will have to be able to prove that it was him (witnesses) and that the action was indeed in retaliation of the termination. good luck, what a crappy situation :( it's going ot cost you both more than what it is worth - if you fired him according to the law, you have nothing to worry about
soplaw2001
2006-05-23 17:22:13 UTC
Winning in criminal court? I am not sure you really win in criminal court~If he pleads not guilty, then it will be up to the court to make a decision on his guilt or innocence. Then it depends on the attorney he retains and the prosecutor; not to mention, the testimony of the officer, witnesses and you, the victim. He could always plead guilty and take what is coming to him.

Did the police officer arrest him? Did he file a civil action against regarding the firing?

With regards to "[d]oes he have any chance.." ~ of course, anything is always possible. See State of California vs. OJ Simpson.
Guns The Executioner
2006-05-24 08:28:27 UTC
Then he don't stand a chance in court coz judge trust police officer words against fired employee.
KittyKat
2006-05-23 17:21:02 UTC
You should actually go to your local police station and press charges against him for vandalizing your car. I don't think he has anything on you, but you should put in the complaint so it could look good on your side, just in case.

Good Luck!
2006-05-23 17:19:45 UTC
In America- the court system that let OJ and Michael Jackson go? The court system that lets Hinckley go for walks to visit his mom?

Yeah, I'd say he has a chance.
tobcol
2006-05-23 17:18:34 UTC
Did the police officer arrest him and make a report. If so, I doubt that he will win anything. But if the cop didn't make a report, well then it's pretty much your word against his.
Anais
2006-05-23 17:20:47 UTC
No, I don't think he has a chance in hell. Did you file a police report? Do you have any witnesses? Because if you didn't file the police report, you're going to need someone to testify that they saw him hit your car.
lj1
2006-05-23 17:20:37 UTC
As long as you had a valid reason for letting him go, he doesn't have much of a chance in court.

As for him punching your car - if a cop actually saw him do it, he will lose in court.
AnswerBot
2006-05-23 17:20:52 UTC
No chance, but you didn't state the charge or locality. You may be able to sue for damages to your property.
?
2006-05-23 20:42:35 UTC
I dont know why not, especially is a Police officer saw.
Pitchow!
2006-05-23 17:17:28 UTC
Not unless the judge is an idiot.
2006-05-23 17:18:11 UTC
no, he doesn't. You should be pressing charges against him!
Yankee Empire
2006-05-23 17:17:28 UTC
Sure if he has a GREAT lawyer.
NZGirl
2006-05-23 17:20:12 UTC
i hope not, not a good precedent to set...
Jack430
2006-05-23 17:17:32 UTC
Probably not.
mel_thomas20